Sunday, September 9, 2012

September 9th, 2012

Made some pretty good progress this week. Started working on the pushrods for the aileron as well as the aileron bellcrank and attachment. The bushing has to be reamed to size. I didn't have a reamer at the time, so I just used a drill bit in my drill press. Worked great. Basically I took a 2x4, drilled it to the exact size as the bushing, then crammed the bushing in there (very tight fit) then carefully aligned the drill press/bit with the center hole of the bushing, applied a lot of cutting oil and slowly reamed it out. The fit is perfect. Did that for both bushings. Forgot to take any pictures. Here's the completed bushing in the bellcrank.
From Right Wing
Cut the large pushrod tubes to size, and drilled and riveted the end caps in place for both left and right pushrods.
From Right Wing
Did the same for the short aileron pushrods.
From Right Wing
I picked up a dynon roll servo mounting bracket from a guy on VAF, so I test fit that with the bellcrank to get a feel for how the whole thing will go together. I don't have the servo yet - won't buy anything like that until late in the project, but at least I have the bracket and got that installed.
From Right Wing
The last thing I did before storing the wing was to test fit the pushrods to the bellcrank and aileron.
From Right Wing
I won't close the bottom skins until later in the project (after I've finished the the electrical work), so I moved the wing along with the bottom skins out to the shed and put them on the wing rack I built.