Sunday, September 2, 2012

September 2nd, 2012

Trying to finish up the wings over the next week.  The fuse kit is due to arrive sometime next week.

I had dimpled the bottom skins with the DRDT previously and wasn't happy at all with it.  Just didn't look right.  I fiddled with the tension on the dimpler and did some samples and realized it was under dimpling, so I increased the tension on it and the dimples were nice and flat again.  I re-dimpled both the bottom skins again.  Much happier with the result this time.

From Right Wing


Deburred and beveled the bottom skins (no pictures - boring, and there is really nothing to show.)

Scuffed and deburred all the flap and aileron attach brackets and angles.
From Right Wing
Primed all the flap and aileron attach brackets and angles. While I was at it I also primed the inner side of the bottom skins and the aileron pushrod tubes. Riveted the attach brackets in place. Just for grins, I decided to attach the flap and aileron to see how it all looked and if things lined up pretty well.
From Right Wing
I went ahead and installed Van's nylon corrugated conduit in the wing along with a pull string.
From Right Wing
I also enlarged the tooling holes per the plans and installed nylon bushings in them. These will probably be used for the roll servo for the autopilot, which goes in the right wing.
From Right Wing
Riveted the flap and aileron gap fairings in place.
From Right Wing
Big moment. On Wednesday, the fuselage kit arrived. Once I get the work space squared away I will inventory it.
From Fuselage Kit