Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dec 3rd, 2011

I don't have a lot of pictures from this week. Sunday the 26th there was some fabulous weather so I had a marathon priming session that lasted about 5 hours all told. I primed pretty much all the remaining main wing skins, doublers, ribs, J bars, etc for both the left and right wings. Didn't get to the flaps or ailerons cause it got dark. Very happy to have all that out of the way.

The rest of the week I worked on removing vinyl from the rivet lines on all the skins, then finished up the tank ribs.

Removing the vinyl from just the rivet lines (I use a wood burning tool with a brass tip and a ruler to melt the plastic) keeps the skins protected as much as possible.



Getting ready to finish prosealing the inboard tank ribs.



Ribs are finished. Time to start working on the vent line, inboard rib fittings and fuel pickup line.



Flaring a fuel line. I completely botched the pickup lines. The flares were fine, but I couldn't get the pickup bit to look like I wanted. I finally found some on Van's web site and just ordered them.



Kurt came over again on Saturday the 3rd. We deburred and dimpled wing skins for about 3 or 4 hours. No pictures of the fun. Kurt has definitely seen some of the more mundane and unpleasant sides of building.