Saturday, December 24, 2011

Dec 24th, 2011

Got a little done this week. Mostly getting ready for Christmas. Went to a great Christmas play my nephew and niece-in-law were in at Avalon Hills Bible Church. Wonderful play - we had a great time. Good job Heather and Andrew! Also ran into some old friends from CBN - Yvonne Swain and Bob Crittsinger.

Trimmed the plexi for the landing light. Used a bandsaw as suggested and it seemed to work fine, despite my $25 Craigslist saw and a nearly shot blade...

Installed the nutplates in the ribs for the mounting plate.



Then finished up work on the mounting plate and test fit it.



Match drilled the plexi to the skins and the reinforcing plates.



And here is the more or less finished product. At one point I had everything installed including the light, but forgot to take a picture.



There are still a couple of gaps on the front I want to try to tighten up, but will wait until the whole thing is riveted to the spar assembly so I know exactly how it will come out.

They aren't as big as they look here, but I want this as tight as I can get it.



Also fabricated and installed the vent line this week, and completely fouled up the last of my fuel pickup line trying to make a fuel pickup tube I could live with. Finally ordered one from Van's. It should be here next week.