Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dec 10th, 2011

Did some cleanup work on the tank skin. Started work on the T708 tank plate and fuel float.

Landing light arrived this week from Duckworks (LL-DW-09). Got the 55W halogen unit - LED is tempting but pricey and the 100W seems more than I need - hopefully the price will drop in a few years and I can upgrade to the LED unit. Didn't think to take a picture of the whole kit. It is pretty complete though, and should be no problem to someone who's been working on a kit for a while.

I wanted to work on it right away while the LE skin is unfinished and off the plane, but I couldn't seem to find a way to put it on the wing and still have sufficient edge distance on the plexi. Spent a couple of nights marking and measuring and moving trying to make it work.

Here's the template on the wing while I'm trying to figure it all out



Not a lot of edge distance here...



Fired off an email to Duckworks while I was fiddling. He got back to me a day or two later - the answer is obvious. I had the plexi on the outside while fitting, but the radius is much different when it's inside. It's still snug, but there is sufficient edge distance. DOH!

This is from a later session - definitely adequate edge distance.



Finally abandoned the landing light since I hadn't heard back and dimpled the main ribs, rear spar and finished up the top skins.

Also test fit the tank after dimpling the screw holes to #8.