Friday, November 7, 2014

Sunday, November 9th starting on Pete's favorite thing, the pink cowling

After finishing up the A/P servo & such, I decided it was time to work on the cowling.  I'd like to get that done so I can do the baffling and then start on doing all the engine wiring and installing the sensors.

This is another one of those areas where people seem to have some struggles at times.  I watched Pete spend several months on his trying to get it right.  Sounded like the front was really jayhawkered and he had to spend a lot of time altering it to get it to fit right.

I read over a bunch of posts on VAF (Brantel's in particular was really good), re-read the instructions, watched the Orndorff video a couple of times and then went over the plans pages very carefully with a highlighter.  I think I finally get the procedure at this point.


Started off by measuring the distance to find the centerline since the middle rib is offset (used a piece of tape), then put a piece of tape across the top to use as a reference to begin trimming back the upper cowl.

From Finish Kit

Decided to try the stack of books method to shim the cowl up to the back plate rather than try something else.  Not sure if I'll stay with this or not, but it works well for initial fitting anyway.

From Finish Kit

The engine is offset to counteract turning tendencies and p-factor, and it shows in the way the cowl fits.  It's quite parallel with the back plate.  I ended up measuring the offset - turns out the engine is offset 1/2" left.  Apparently as part of the engine mount.


From Finish Kit

I then drew a center line down the cowling just so I had a good reference.  I later extended it all the way forward.

From Finish Kit
From Finish Kit
Trying a test alignment.  Nothing has been cut at this point.

From Finish Kit

Later I trimmed 1/2" to 3/4" off the back after triple measuring to make sure it wasn't too much.  Still have at least 1/2" to go, and I was measuring with the cowl hard against the back plate.  I needs to be between 1/8" and 1/4" aft, so that leaves me about 5/8" to 3/4" still to work with.

I had to do a lot of sanding inside the nose on the flanges to get anything remotely like a decent fit.  The openings to either side are way off.  Once I trim up the outboard flanges they should sit much better.  Won't do that til later.

From Finish Kit

Checking everything to see how it fits before I drill the inboard holes for clecos.

From Finish Kit

Drilled the inboard flanges.

From Finish Kit

Next step is to mount the hinges around the aft top.  Last thing for the day was to match drill the upper firewall to the top skin.  Then I can match drill the hinges to the firewall and start working on fitting the upper cowl.

From Finish Kit