Friday, November 7, 2014

Sunday, November 1st adahrs tray, a/p servo, adahrs

I forgot to finish my last post.  After more or less finishing the canopy (still need to do a couple of things and then rivet it) I decided to do the Van's ADAHRS tray, the ELT and the pitch A/P servo.

I picked up the Van's ADAHRS tray last summer thinking that would be perfect for the transponder, ads/b and/or the ELT.  At the time I was sure I was going to go with the Garmin G3X.  Their AHRS unit doesn't have the magnetometer built it, and can be mounted literally anywhere, so I knew I wouldn't use the tray for that.

After SNF and spending 3 days playing with all the glass panels, I was really impressed with the Dynon, and knew I really didn't like the Garmin Touch.

At any rate, I decided to go Dynon.  Their ADAHRS unit *does* have the magnetometer built into it, so it *cannot* be near any mag interference.  Since the pitch servo is mounted on the elevator bellcrank rib which is right next to the Van's ADAHRS tray, I knew I couldn't put it there.  I ended up just putting the ELT on it.  The ADAHRS ended up on the aft elevator deck.

Here's what the ADAHRS tray looks like.  The narrow end goes aft.  It's upside down in this shot.

From Finish Kit


There is a second rib that runs fore and aft between the two bulkheads just aft of the baggage compartment, then a tray that ties the rib back over to the elevator bellcrank rib.

It comes pre-drilled for a bunch of ADAHRS units (GRT, etc).  I just added some more holes to fit my AK ELT unit.  The aluminum tray is the mounting tray for the ELT.

From Finish Kit

This is the Dynon pitch servo kit.  The servo itself is generic.  The kit part is specific for the RV series.   The pushrod, doubler and most of the mounting hardware comes with the kit.  Instructions are very clear and the install is pretty simple.

From Finish Kit

Working on mounting the doubler.  It gets drilled to the elevator bellcrank bulkhead.


From Finish Kit
From Finish Kit

Finished installing the servo and the ELT test fitted.  Everything still needs to be wired.

I've seen notes from folks that said the pushrod interfered with the elevator pushrod.  In my case it is close, but there is no point in the travel (except *way* beyond the stops) that it hits the pushrod.  I'll still have to check it once everything is hooked up.

From Finish Kit

Working on mounting the Dynon ADAHRS (Air Data, Attitude, Heading Reference System).  Basically a digital equivalent of a six pack - altimeter, air speed, vertical speed, directional gyro, digital compass, and attitude indicator, and AOA).  I looked at a whole slew of locations, and at the end of the day I just wasn't comfortable with anything in the mid fuse - didn't want the seat belt cables wearing against it or possible chafing from something.


From Finish Kit

Has to be level and aligned fore and aft within one degree.  I needed some non-magnetic fasteners to mount it.  Couldn't find any good supplies, and oddly enough ACS didn't seem to have anything suitable, so I got them from McMaster Carr.  What an awesome hardware supplier.  http://www.mcmaster.com/

From Finish Kit

While I was waiting for the brass bolts and locknuts, I went ahead and fabbed up the copper bus bar jumper between the master and starter solenoids.

From Finish Kit

Got the brass hardware the next day, so I finished mounting the unit.  Again, still need to cable.  Once I get the cowling done I think it will be time to start wiring.

From Finish Kit