Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sunday, February 23, 2014 - canopy: rollover bar and braces

Now that the kit is inventoried and put away and some other cleanup stuff is done, I was finally able to start working again.

Saturday was the FKN pancake breakfast and we had a great turnout.  66 or 68 people.  Felt like a small fly-in.  It was a beautiful day to fly and a lot of folks probably just wanted to get out.

Couple of the a/c that we had (I think we had 25 or so fly in, including a Robinson R-44 helo).

Nice little Ercoupe


From Finish Kit

From Finish Kit

Couple of old school (no electrical system at all) cubs.
Semi-local RV-8.   Needless to say, since I'm working on the finish kit I was taking closeups of the cowl, intersection fairings, canopy and fittings, etc).  He came walking up as I was taking pictures - I think he thought I was some kind of paparazzi nut).  Talked to him quite a bit about flying it, stuff he'd done (and wouldn't do over again) and just general RV thoughts.

From Finish Kit
Close of up the canopy and rivets.

From Finish Kit

Cowling/spinner details.

From Finish Kit

Saturday afternoon I was able to start on the rollover bar.  Got the holes laid out and drilled on the canopy decks, then match back drilled the rollover bar to the deck.  Those get enlarged to #12 forward and 1/4" aft.  Then the shims have to be trimmed to size.

The way it laid out, I realized I was not going to have enough edge distance on the forward hole if I proceeded with their exact measurements.

Looked at it and decided I could get er done if I just moved it forward another 1/8" or so.  Gave Gus at Van's a call just to make sure that was reasonable and it wouldn't bite me later.

As I expected, he said it wasn't that critical, so I went ahead and moved it forward.

From Finish Kit

Match drilling the bar to the deck.

From Finish Kit

Working on the shims - there are 4 total.  2 left & right, and the forward one is different than the aft one so you have to keep track and make sure you make one each left and right handed forward and aft.


From Finish Kit

Enlarging the holes to final size.

From Finish Kit
From Finish Kit

Finished drilling.

From Finish Kit

I could *not* get the nut on the bolt from below, so I made an access cutout to get to it.

From Finish Kit

Next was to trim the brace to length, then match drill it to the rollover bar and rib.

From Finish Kit

Finished with the rollover bar end.

From Finish Kit

Match drilled, trimmed, deburred and bolted in to the rib.

From Finish Kit
Next thing is to do the canopy rails.