Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February 12th, 2014 - finish kit finally arrives!

Just got back from unloading my finish kit.  It was supposed to be here a couple of weeks ago, but I suspect all the weather between the coasts held things up a bit.  I'll be posting some pics once I get started unpacking and inventorying.

Here are the pics from opening the crate.

The crate arrived via CEVA logistics (COD as always).  It was supposed to be here 2 weeks ago, but I suspect all the weather held things up.  The driver, Thomas, was great.  He put it on a dolly before he left the depot, and brought a regular truck with a lift gate instead of the usual tractor/trailer.  Much easier.

They say it weighs 300 pounds.  Seems a bit on the high side to me, but definitely too big to horse around all by myself.  I empty my EAA table and roll it out to the street, then just roll the whole thing in.  Works great.  Just need a little help getting over the lip of the garage and the lip of the driveway at the street.

From Finish Kit
As always, Van's did a great job of packing.  The crate was in perfect shape.

From Finish Kit

There is a separate cardboard compartment for parts just under the camera, a bunch of stuff under the canopy in the center, and the cowling tucked over the canopy on the far end.  Wheel fairings were tucked into the gaps on the far end.  As always, miles of packing paper.

From Finish Kit

Wow is that cowling pink! :)  The snout is the air induction inlet.  The top half of the cowl is nestled inside this part.


From Finish Kit

Separate compartment with wheels, various parts, nose wheel fairing and the plans/documentation kit.

From Finish Kit

Cowling out of the way.  I decided to remove all the sides of the crate since I didn't have a lot of help and I wanted to be super careful with the canopy.

From Finish Kit

The engine mount (using a Dynafocal 1)  is under the canopy and bolted to the bottom of the crate with some large carriage bolts.  All kinds of parts were tie wrapped to the engine mount, then paper covered the whole thing.  Very sturdy, and no way for anything to move around at all.

From Finish Kit

Finished removing everything from under the canopy except the hinges for the cowling and fairings and hinge pins and some miscellaneous sheet metal for the canopy frame.

I took out the rollover bar and canopy frame and put them on the fuse.  You can see them in the background.

Next question:  where am I going to put this dude until it is warm enough to work on it???

From Finish Kit