Wednesday, June 29, 2011

July 2nd, 2011

Still finishing up the rudder. I riveted the trailing edge on Monday. Definitely the most nerve wracking thing I've done so far given the dire warnings of warped or bowed trailing edges and nightmares with proseal,etc.

Decided to go with T-88 since it's listed as an option in the plans, is cheaper, by all accounts a good epoxy, and I could get it at Woodcraft. I didn't want to waste 6 ounces of proseal on the trailing edge.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage


Glued in the AEX wedge Sunday. Here's what it looked like epoxied up and clecoed to a big piece of angle to hold it all straight while it cures.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage


Riveted it up Monday evening after letting the epoxy cure for 24 hours. Came out really straight, but I'm not wild about a gap I have in the trailing edge.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage


Here's the gap. It's about 3/32 at it's widest. Talked to Jeff about it Wednesday. I'll run it out to CPK. He's pretty sure we can clean it up so no one will know. Aerodynamically and structurally it's great. Just not as pleasing to the eye as I'd like.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage


Wednesday I finished up the rudder leading edge, the put the whole thing together just so I could see it all. The balance is incredible. Light as a feather.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage


Just for grins I stuck it on the horizontal stab on a couple of sawhorses so I could see the whole thing.

From Dale's RV Project - Empennage