Friday, November 29, 2013

December 1st, 2013 forward fuselage, panel, static port and lines, misc

Finally starting to get a head of steam again, although I realized yesterday when  I was reading over the instructions that I am literally on the last paragraph of the fuselage section and have not yet ordered the finish kit.  I knew I was close but didn't think I was that close.

After letting the paint cure for 3 or 4 days I reassembled it loosely to make sure I hadn't missed anything major.  There are still a couple of things I need to paint (seat backs and braces and the forward brake/fuel line covers) but that will have to wait until we get some warmer weather.

Once I got the panels back in place I did mock up the forward fuse quickly just to sit in it and make airplane noises.


From Fuselage

I got some seat height measurements when I was watching a webinar DJ Lauritzen did on seating (she makes really nice RV seats, Vans demonstrators among them).  She and her husband run Cleaveland Tools.

 Based on her guidance the height will be fine and the rudder pedal location I chose will work as well.

From Fuselage

Once I was done with that I started on the forward fuselage.  Forgot to take any pics of the angles that support the panel.  Pretty straightforward, they just need to be fluted to match the upper curvature on the outboard edges.

From Fuselage

The F7109 plate reinforces the center rib.  There is a roll bar support that bolts between this rib and the forward roll bar for the sliding canopy.

From Fuselage

Reinforcing plate cut to shape but not drilled yet.  This gets match drilled using the center rib as a drilling template.

From Fuselage

Decided to take a break from the forward section to work on the rudder cable exits at the rear.

The adel clamps were a bear to get started.  Finally ended up using a pair of needle nose (note to self - use the forceps next time) and that did the trick.  Hopefully I won't have to mess with these again.

From Fuselage
 I thought about ordering some of the fairings to cover/dress up the exit holes, but ASC wants $16, and there is nothing to them.  I was googling around and found some Sam Buchanan did and shamelessly copied his idea.

This is a lousy picture, but all I have at the moment.  I'll try to get a better one and fix it.

Basically you take some light (I used .020) sheet about 4" long and 2 1/2 to 3" wide, cut it to an arrow shape,  then bent it in the middle.


From Fuselage

From Fuselage
From Fuselage
From Fuselage
From Fuselage