Friday, March 1, 2013

March 2nd, 2013

This week was just finishing up a whole bunch of fussy details before beginning to rivet the forward/center/tail sections together.  There is a ton of dimpling, deburring, countersinking, etc., plus some things that are on the plans that aren't mentioned in the instructions (holes for cables, brake lines, various things).

Mostly I've been staring at the plane, the plans, visualizing (upside down is still very confusing to me) and just trying to make sure I don't forget something important that will be a lot harder to do once this stuff all gets riveted together.

One exciting (to me anyway) part is that when the sections are all riveted together, I will finally be at the point where I can sit in it (or nearly so - the seats won't be done yet).  It's a rite of passage I think.

I'll add some pictures later, though truthfully there aren't many.  The forward section has been sitting there with very little visible change - the progress is all drilling, fitting, fabricating, etc.