Monday, August 6, 2012

August 5th, 2012

This week I was able to start on the right wing tank after being gone for two weeks.  In hindsight I wish I'd done both of them at the same time, but it is what it is.

I already had all the prep work done (including taping everything off so it would be neater),
From Right Fuel Tank
so all I had to do was do one final wipe down with Acetone, throw a bunch of rivets in a Naphtha bath (everything has to be super clean and oil/grease free so the proseal will stick) and I was ready to go.

First step is to back rivet the stiffeners in place.  I totally forgot to take pictures. Take it as done.  Right after that I riveted the fuel cap flange and quick drain flange into place.

Top side of fuel cap flange after riveting
From Right Fuel Tank

Underside of the flange.
From Right Fuel Tank

Here's the outside of the flange for the fuel drain.
From Right Fuel Tank

And the ugly (inside) of the same.
From Right Fuel Tank


Next step is to start installing ribs.  I elected to do one rib the first time just to get it all started right.  After that I did them in pairs.  Here's what they look like after they are done.

From Right Fuel Tank

By the end of the week I'd finished 4 more tank ribs (basically all the inboard ribs) and have two more to go - the outboard and inboard ribs.